Thursday, June 23, 2011

Missy Elliott Speaks On Battle With Graves’ Disease

Missy Elliot

Rapper Missy Elliott eclectic energy has been missing from the Hip Hop scene over the last few years which has left her fans wondering if she was hanging up the mic. What many don’t know is that she’s been battling an autoimmune condition called Graves’ disease, since 2008.

Missy tells People magazine that the disease, which effects the thyroid, that her symptoms came on so quickly that is intensely effected basic functions like writing and driving:
“I was (driving and) trying to put my foot on the brake, but my leg was jumping. I couldn’t keep the brake down and almost crashed… I couldn’t write because my nervous system was so bad – I couldn’t even use a pen.”
She says that she also experienced hair loss and mood swings, and turned to radiation therapy to improve her condition.
“I’m 30 pounds lighter because I’ve been exercising. My thyroid is functioning, so I haven’t had to take medication in about nine months. (But) you live with it for the rest of your life.”
This goes to show that you never know what people are going through behind the scenes. We hope she gets well soon.


*This article really hit home for me because I too suffer from this little known disease.


1 comment:

  1. This is so sad! But I thank you for shedding life to this disease! My mother suffers from this disease and my friend’s mother also suffers from this also. It is hard to explain it to someone who doesn’t understand it; your thyroid affects your WHOLE BODY! Sometimes your mood your personality changes without reason and cause. I believe many more people suffer from this and they do not even know it. Please be proactive in your health and get a TSH test. I was diagnosed at the age of 17; my doctor refused to test me at first. But I knew something was wrong and I demanded a test.

    ReplyDelete